This is a topic/thought I find quite interesting, as I feel that both sides aren't always discussed.
Background: I was sitting in yoga class a few weeks back, when the instructor began a discussion on finding your center and what that truly means. She went on to explain that a true or accomplished yogi (essentially one who does yoga) is able to control their emotions in a way that they never hit extremes, or can stay at equilibrium.
The interesting part of this discussion was that 'extremes' means both the highs and the lows. Obviously, when I think about keeping my emotions/reactions in check, I think of the negatives- don't get too upset, angry, sad, etc. But this also goes for the positives. Yogis don't get overly excited or happy either- key word being overly. Yes, you can still be happy. But the theory behind this is that you're life will never be a constant of extreme happiness or extreme sadness, so somewhere in the middle (center) is the best place to keep yourself.
I'm trying to work on this within myself. Admittedly, I've failed quite miserably a few times since the yoga class that brought this to my attention. As a person who wears her emotions on her sleeve, I definitely ride the extremes quite often. However I think this is a great personal challenge.
I challenge you to try it too- to be more aware of the emotional extremes you let yourself get to. For example, no one feels good after they've freaked out over something that was unimportant, or got so excited about something that they felt withdrawal after it was over.
Good luck! Namaste.
No comments:
Post a Comment